371 High St.
In 1924, the Metropolitan Theatre opened its doors to the public as a vaudeville house designed by Charles W. Bates. The Neoclassical revival style features fluted concrete ionic pilasters with egg and dart detail, two smaller brick pilasters, and a concrete entablature with circular medallions and “Metropolitan” engraved in the frieze. Only two years after the theatre was established, a damaging fire melted the crystal chandeliers and damaged the high style interior design. After repairs and a new décor were completed, the theatre went on to host some of the most popular entertainers of the day. In 1990, a foundation acquired the building to historically restore it. The Metropolitan Theatre is now owned by the City of Morgantown. Along with holding live performances, it is available for rent by the public. (Listed NRHP 1984)