318 Main St.
Robey Theatre on Facebook
The Robey Theatre was built by Hamond Robey in 1911 specifically for the exhibition of films. Robey moved his theatre operations several times within Spencer before he erected the 1911 building; he decided to expand and remodel this theatre in the summer of 1926. Completed by the architectural firm of Carmichael and Millspaugh, this $100,000 remodeling – with the exception of a few later, minor changes – remains intact today. The remodeling changed the facade and enlarged the stage, and the theatre reopened with much pomp and ceremony. In the late 1920s, the Robey was one of the first theatres in the area to install sound equipment. It shows films nightly, 364 days a year. (Listed NRHP 1989)